Carbohydrates are the fuel the body needs for all its functions even when sleeping. Rice is a complex carbohydrate and so supplies a high proportion of our energy needs. 100g cooked rice provides 590kJ energy.The energy gained from eating rice is released slowly to sustain physical activity - which is why athletes eat this type of food.
Did you know?
- It takes 1260 litres of water to grow 500g rice.
- On cooking, rice swells to three times its original weight.
- The Chinese word for rice is the same as their word for food.
- The Japanese word "gohan" means both rice and complete meal
- The Indonesian word "rijstaffel" (table rice) refers to a table set with rice and savoury dishes - and now included in Holland's culture.