75g(3oz) short grain rice
560ml (1 pint) milk
150g (5oz) caster sugar
2.5ml (1/2 teasp) ground nutmeg
2 size 4 eggs separated
40ml (8teasp) raspberry conserve
4 ripe peaches, peeled halved and stones removed
- Place rice, milk, 25g (1oz) caster sugar and nutmeg in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer very gently for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is cooked and most of the milk absorbed.
- Beat egg yolks into the rice pudding, then pour into a soufflé dish.
- Place a little raspberry conserve in each peach half. Arrange peaches in the soufflé dish with the cut sides pressing against the sides of the dish and the rest jam side down on the rice.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff. Whisk in half the remaining sugar, then fold in the remainder. Spoon meringue on top.
- Bake in oven 190C (375F0 Gas Mark 5 for about 5 minutes. Serve hot or leave to cool, then chill before serving.
- Serves 8
HINT: For a quick dessert, stir 50g (2oz) ground hazelnuts into a can of rice pudding with 30ml (2 tblsp) whipped cream. Spoon into individual dishes and top with drained mandarin oranges and sprinkle chocolate flake on the top.