Kebabs with red and green pepper rice
A gorgeous marinade for the meat, combined with a tasty and vibrant rice dish. This is sure to be a new family favourite.
Rice type: Basmati rice
Servings: Serves 4
Preparation Time: 10 mins plus overnight marinading
Cooking Time: 30 mins
• 4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
• 4 tbsp of Raisins
• 90ml reduced salt soy sauce
• 120ml sake or dry sherry
• 2 level tbsp of honey
• 3 garlic cloves, skinned and chopped
• 2.5cm fresh ginger, finely grated
• ground black pepper, to taste
• also, soak wooden skewers for 15 minutes in water before use to prevent burning whilst cooking.
• 50-75g of pack cooked Basmati rice per person
• 1 medium red pepper, seeded
• 1 medium green pepper, seeded
• 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Mix half of each of the soy sauce, sake and honey along with all the ginger, garlic and black pepper (to taste).
Add 2-3 tablespoons of warm water, stir to combine the flavours.
Add the chicken and mix well to coat the pieces thoroughly.
Chill for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight if possible) turning occasionally to ensure even coating.
Cook the rice in 2 parts water to 1 part rice for 20 minutes or until fluffy. Whilst the rice is cooking, thread the chicken onto the pre-soaked skewers and grill for the last 10-15 minutes (of cooking time). Turn and baste the skewers regularly with any remaining marinade.
Stir-fry the peppers and shallots in a little olive oil or spray cooking oil until the shallots are just beginning to brown. Remove from heat.
Place the remaining soy sauce, sake, honey and raisins in a saucepan with 2 tbsp warm water and gently simmer for 7-8 minutes or until the raisins are plump and most of the liquid. has been absorbed.
Remove from the heat and serve with the kebabs.